95% members don't use their points
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program serves more than 9 million members (40% of the Australian population). However, only 5% of members earn points through regular flights; the remaining 95% (infrequent flyers – “buyers” ) accumulate points through purchases and credit card spend with partners.
In response to this problem, I helped lead the team at Deloitte Digital to create a concept that would help drive revenue growth for Qantas Points. The idea centered around effectively targeting and encouraging the 8.5 million infrequent flyers to spend with points-earning partners and each other.
A DAY IN THE LIFE
The first step we undertook was to create 4 personas of everyday Australians who used Qantas Points in their daily lives. From a young mother to a successful businessman, the personas helped shape the story of how Qantas Points could become more than a redundant point system to one that could facilitate real change, by becoming Australia's "second currency".
points, not dollars.
Our solution was to imagine a new Australian currency. After all, close to half of Australia's population were actively accumulating points and were not using them. Imagine an ecosystem that supported trading, selling and buying points instead of using cash? A new marketplace for Australians make their Qantas Points really count.
A NICE PROBLEM TO HAVE.
Our response to their brief was unexpected and certainly delighted Qantas. We turned the brief upside down, beating all competing agencies.
We were awarded with a strategic partnership with Qantas that is enjoyed to this day.
Qantas Frequent Flyer
Senior Consultant / Senior Art Director